Wednesday, October 8, 2014

Reflection on Module Four

                Using technology is extremely important in the 21st century.  Technology allows teachers to enable students to become active participants in the learning process rather than passively observing.  In education, we have moved past students simply regurgitating facts.  Technology allows us to ask students to synthesize and analyze material which allows them to use higher-order thinking skills. Students learn how to research for themselves rather than the material being handed to them. I believe that by having teachers use technology in the classroom it will enable students to become more excited about the subjects we teach.  They have to come to class ready to learn so they can interact with the technology.  Use of technology allows the student a certain amount of freedom, but they have to learn to manage their time effectively.  Students are no longer asked to take notes but to actively engage in the class via technology.  These are skills they will take with them to the workplace.

                When we ask students to use technology to demonstrate knowledge, they can not simply list the facts.  They have to take the information they do know, analyze it, and decide on the best format to present their knowledge.  When we ask them to do presentations, they have to synthesize what they know and produce a product.  Project-based Learning allows the learner to develop those higher-order thinking skills that are critical in the workplace.  A boss will not sit and spoon feed you information. You will need to process information and present your data in a tangible way.  I feel that technology has allowed us to better prepare students for the workplace.

                  I know for me the classroom implications of technology will completely change the way I view units.  I will need to begin by determining what students know, what they can do, and how we can grow those higher-order thinking skills.  I will then need to determine projects that I can see them doing in the workplace or in higher education as a necessary part of the curriculum.  I will also need to start to release the control of the learning process to the students.  Instead of feeling I need to spoon feed them information, I will need to allow them opportunity to seek out that information via technology.  I can see I will be as much a learner in this process as my students will be, but I feel that we will both gain tremendously from the effort.

No comments:

Post a Comment