Wednesday, October 22, 2014

Module 5b

This module has helped me think about self-directed learners and the role of differentiation in the following ways…
                In teaching students to become self-directed learners I feel it is important to make the directions for any project clear and concise.  They must also be able to see an example.  I feel that having a checklist of how to get started and maintaining clear deadlines is very important so that the student understands exactly what is expected and when it is expected.  Self-directed learners also need to be able to meet with the teacher in conferences so that any question they may have can be answered so they do not get stuck in a problem and give up.  I like the website wiggio.com because group based projects can add the teacher to their group, and he or she can check in and address any questions that come up in group discussions.  Another option is having students write in blogs about the chosen topic.  I feel that through free writing teachers can assess whether students understand the subject matter and the project at hand.  A survey mid-project is also helpful in assessing any questions the students may have.  Self-directed learners thrive when they feel they are working in the right direction.
                This module really made me realized the different learners I may have in my classroom.  In my early years in the classroom, I had to focus on special-needs students.  I wrote lesson plans for my regular students and then looked for ways I could break down the subject matter to make it easier to understand.  Sometimes I would do this in terms of a checklist or creating diagrams.  We would start with a sentence and then develop a paragraph.  We would move from simple to more complex concepts.  Because I had some experience in this area, I felt more confident in working with my unit plan when it comes to special needs.  With gifted students, the module suggests that students can handle more complex material.  In my latter years teaching, I had advanced students.  Some of these students were gifted; some were not.  In group based projects I would put gifted students with those that were not.  I would make the project challenging and break the project down into manageable steps so that all students could succeed.  The students were graded on their portion of the project and then given an overall grade.  I monitored the groups so that the gifted students were not taking over the final product.  Overall, I feel this was successful. 

                I felt in this module the most help to me came in terms of recognizing that in Montgomery the population is becoming more diverse.  I need to focus on how I can reach those learners in which English is a second language. The module gave me some ideas such as speaking slowly and providing a translation of The Great Gatsby in their native language.  I will also need to explain literary terms in a way that they can understand.  I hope I am able to meet this need after careful consideration.

No comments:

Post a Comment